i thought i wouldn't be the air inside anyone today

people are empty but
there are several forms of air that can go inside a central cavity.
I am going to open myself up and see only
things that i especially like. puppets, diet coke,
spell books, beautiful rocks. i am going to see
these things the way i see the families in my molecules.
some of the people in the families die. there is a funeral
in my nitrogen atoms. the grandmother throws herself
into the grave. the children play at empty ionic platitudes.
some of the people in the families say maybe they’ll call
which means they will not call. one person says
he will walk again, which means he will roll into his grave
and my nitrogen atoms will split.
there isn’t any space inside of people.
space is encased outside the skin. it is the new year.
it is a rolling ocean and empty people and a grandmother
haunting my oxygen. it is a bright sun and a mother
in my nucleus, complaining of the heat.